At first when Fortnite cross-play was announced for PS4, fans were ecstatic. However, the enthusiasm for Sony’s announcement quickly waned after it was discovered that if a player had ever […]
At first when Fortnite cross-play was announced for PS4, fans were ecstatic. However, the enthusiasm for Sony’s announcement quickly waned after it was discovered that if a player had ever played on a PS4 account, even if their primary account was mobile or on PC, they would not be able to ever login to a Nintendo Switch with their Fortnite account – or vice versa. It’s important to note that Epic Games had nothing to do with the issues regarding sharing accounts across platforms, because the major roadblocks all stemmed back to Sony – who has a notoriously hard time playing nice with others.
At the time, the only disappointing solution Epic Games could suggest was to create a new account. However, after what feels like an eternity, Epic Games finally revealed a work around for players who had to abandon their primary accounts containing purchased and hard earned in game items. Now players will have the ability to merge their lost unplayable accounts with the new accounts they were forced to create, and reclaim their precious in game items on their account of choice.
Here’s how it works. According to Epic Games, “you’ll choose two accounts, first a Primary Account that you wish to continue using. Then you’ll choose a Secondary Account to merge and disable. Your secondary accounts Console Login (e.g. PSN, Xbox Live, Nintendo Online) will be instantly linked to your Primary Account. Two weeks later, your Fortnite Cosmetic Items and V-Bucks will be transferred to your Primary Account.”
While the solution in itself seems simple enough, the developers of Fortnite also included a list of conditions and caveats to the account merging process that makes it a bit more complicated. Here’s what they had to say:
- One account must have played on Xbox One or Switch and the other on PS4 before September 28th 2018 to be eligible.
- Your account must not currently be banned or disabled.
- In-game items and Vbucks will be held for two weeks before they’re merged to your primary account.
- You’ll need access to all email addresses that are associated with accounts you wish to merge
- If you have duplicate 3rd party login like Facebook on both your Primary and Secondary account, the Secondary login will be unlinked. You can unlink it prior to merging.
- Battle Royale will allow you to merge all cosmetic items. Save the World will allow you to merge Llamas, Defenders, Heroes, Schematics, Survivors, XP, Evolution and Perk Materials.
- Other Items such as Unreal Marketplace items, Creative Islands, and Save The World account level and progress will not be merged over from your secondary account
So here are the main takeaways. The account transfer process is not instantaneous and requires a frustrating two week wait. Additionally, you’ll have had to login to a PS4 with your Fortnite account PRIOR to September 28th, 2018.
This definitely isn’t the perfect solution, and it took awhile to get here, but by this point, it’s likely that players are happy just to have a solution at all. After months of not being able to access the items they paid for and earned, it’ll be nice to have their stuff back – even if it’ll take two weeks.
What are your thoughts? Do you think this is an acceptable work around, or do you think this is too little too late? Let us know in the comments below!
By: Bree Mimms [2-7-19]